Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The tile debacle

I've been dreading writing this post because honestly I'm so tired from the whole issue.  But it needs to be documented and I'm finding a few minutes here and there to finally get this post together.

It all started with an email from the tile company supervisor to our PM, which he forwarded to my husband:

I'm just letting you know that we have an issue with the trim tile in the master bath is a different shade versus the wall tile.
So we need to switch the tile size to 12x12 and 3x12 bullnose to have a consistent color throughout the master bathroom.  Please confirm with the homeowner that this change will be ok.  We don't have a choice with the shade difference it's the way it comes.

This is what it would have looked like had they used the bullnose with the 10x14 wall tile. Um, no.

And this was the option they were offering since it matched.  They said it was an upgrade because the tile is stronger but the reason it's stronger is because it's a damn floor tile, no thank you, I want the rectangle I was promised.

Now, I'm not one to lose my sh*t over things but the day this issue came up was also a day that was horrible for me at work.  So, I called my husband on my lunch break (I only get an hour and can't access my phone easily at any other point in the day) and we talked a bit and conferenced in our PM. There were numerous back and forth phone calls, we would talk to our PM then he would go back and talk to the tile guy.  This took up my entire lunch break and I was fuming.

Bottom line, we didn't want to settle on a compromise because their materials were screwed up.  We wanted what we originally picked out and we wanted it done correctly.  I was not willing to budge on the size of the tile, I didn't want squares on my wall (again, I'm still a little shocked at how upset I got, I mean, there were tears).  It was more the principal of the whole thing, too.  They needed to deliver what they promised.

This was one of their solutions.  The top is what they would do as a way of
fixing it on their own with the right color.  It just didn't look finished and again,
I didn't feel like we should have to compromise on this.
 They told us that the color difference was a distributor issue that they were trying to resolve it but that doesn't help us.  It's their responsibility to deliver the correct product to the customer.  After a ton of back and forth we said that we would take their weird solution that you see up top but only if they did something else to make up for their mistake.  We suggested an upgrade to the tile in the hall bath, since we only got basic tile in there.

The next day our PM got back to us on if they agreed to our upgrade suggestion.  To our shock, he said that they suddenly found the correct bullnose and it was basically like we could just pretend the previous day didn't happen.  Ughhhh!   All that stress for nothing!  Or so I thought.

We decided to go out to the house that day after I finished work to see what they had done.  I was not happy.  
The bullnose on top is the one that came in the wrong color.  The bottom is what they installed.
Looks completely unfinished right?!
We decided to wait until Monday to contact our PM about it because he doesn't work on the weekends and turns his phone off (I don't blame him).  We traveled out of state this past weekend and on the way home we made a stop at the house to see if they finished the bathroom, and to check at what we needed to discuss with our PM.  Our hope was that they finished it properly and that it didn't look half assed.

We arrived at the house a little later than we had hoped, after sunset.  I was happy about this though because we still hadn't seen the neighborhood at night.  We thought we would be walking around the house with the flashlights on our phones leading the way.  Boy were we pleasantly surprised!
We have electricity!

Ok, so I haven't updated since we got the siding installed in the front or the water table at the bottom. So this post is a little all over the place.  Yay for the front of the house looking good (still don't know why the other part of the siding hasn't been finished).

Moving on.  We have electricity!  When we pulled up and saw this our eyes lit up.  So exciting!  I'm a little too excited about our little light post.  Love it so much, and it's not on a switch so it goes on automatically when it gets dark.  Our own little streetlamp.

Back to the master bathroom... I was so happy to see what it will look like with all the lighting.  It's so bright in there with all the lights they have. I love it!  Peace of mind for me too because when i first saw the tile I was worried it was too dark.  Nope, love it with the lights on.
I love the tile and the listello.  So happy with the color.  But the bullnose is still
not up to what we would expect.
I wish I took better pics of the mistakes, because these photos make me look like a crazy person.
I'm sure everyone looking at these now is thinking "that woman is a lunatic, this looks fine".  :)

They can say all they want that those bullnoses aren't cut but they are.  At least at this visit they sanded them to a rounded edge so they aren't super sharp like on Friday.  But they are still white and it's an eye sore.  Long story short (because I really am tired of this whole tile fiasco) we talked to our PM and he agreed that those edges need to be stained to a color closer to the actual tile color.  He also noted a few places that need to be sanded down better.  So it will get fixed, just not exactly what we wanted but it's nothing to fight over now.  Looking forward to seeing it this weekend with the stain.  Hopefully it will be done by then.  I just want to be happy with that room.  Again, we just want what we were promised, that's all.

Back to the lighting!

The kitchen!  So bright with all of the recessed lighting (minus one bulb that's out).    I think we are definitely going to install dimmers.You can also see the 2 rough ins for pendant lights.
So, I thought I took pics of the rest of the lighting in the house (master bath, hall bath, loft, dining room) but nope.  That will have to come later!  Ooops.

The other exciting thing that we tried out was the doorbell.  I've never been so happy about a darn doorbell sound before!  Although I will admit that it sounds a little off, might have to ask about it but still, doorbells are exciting!

Ok, Nyquil is kicking in so before I make a fool of myself I'll end this here.  More to come this weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Your bathroom is lovely! I hope all the kinks get worked out to your satisfaction. And your home at night with the lights in looks inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you and would be PISSED about the tile screw-up. Hopefully they can work some magic with the file and stain. It's looking amazing overall though! So excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man oh man, oh man.

    As I read your post I felt all the feelings I felt with the stupid vinyl in our hall bath! Tears! What I feel are silly tears over something so small. At least your argument APPEARS more valid than ours does. I feel like ours is legit, it just doesn't look that way on paper.
    So I guess they're still not compensating you for your headache with having to deal with all this, are they??

    And I was totally wondering what they were doing with the un-sided part of your house, haha! I didn't know if more stone went there or not. It definitely looks awesome with the lights on.

    And doorbells. My sister in law's new favorite photo is the one I took of our doorbell. Hubby and I were there the day they were installing it, and I heard it chime and went nuts, haha! It's "our" doorbell!

    Everything is really coming together nicely! How do you feel about your recessed lights? Did you notice if they take a few minutes to warm up and get that bright? Ours do, and I've gotten some tips about changing them out for some LED ones, so I'm eventually gonna be looking into that. I would love to have dimmers in there too though!

    Congrats on the progress! Hopefully the Nyquil didn't kick your butt too badly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized I never answered your question about the recessed lighting. Yes they have to warm up and those kinds of lights drive me insane. We have one room in our rented house right now that has those lights and every time I go in there I think "If I wanted the lights to go on 5 minutes from now I would have flipped the switch in 5 minutes!". I will most likely want to switch them out too if they start to drive me crazy :)

      Delete
  4. Love the lighting!! And you have every right to be frustrated. It's a product you paid good money for so why should you be asked to accept something half assed

    ReplyDelete